Minutes – Tuesday September 11, 2018 Meeting

13 09 2018

BPS Meeting Minutes
Sept 11, 2018

Called to order by Gary at 6:48 hrs. Gary welcomed all new members and Charlene introduced each new member to the group. New members: Ravin; Brenda; Scott; Peter; Alex & his mother, Kimberly & Simone.

Gary thanked the volunteers & reported that > 30% of the membership volunteered in some way with BPS last year making for a productive efficient club.

Board members are:

  • Gary Smith 2nd yr as President
  • Charlene Morton- Vice President
  • John Burnett- Past president
  • Marg Campbell – Treasurer
  • Sara Harley – Secretary (absent for this meeting)

Committees

Competition Committee
Trevor Awalt chair person
Members: Darlene Awalt, Linda Hall, Sue Hutchins, Tammy Mercer, Gilbert van Ryckevorsel
Speaker Committee
Sherry Hudson chair person
Members: Beverley Richardson, Mary Ann Massey
Monthly Field Trips
Charlene Morton Chair person
Members: Patty Winfield, Tiffany Ottaway, Anna Mallin, Linda Hall, Ilze Andzans, Kathryn Price, Nancy Johnston
Projectionist
Mary Ann Massey (new this year)
Host- co hosts
Charlene Morton, Patty Winfield
Refreshments
Gary reported that we need a volunteer for this position. Kathryn took care of this tonight as she did last year but Gary asked that if someone would be able that they might speak to him at break.
Yearbook Editor
Sue Hutchins
Web Master
Trevor Awalt
50/50 Draws
Members: James Campbell, Derek Johnston
Exhibit Committee
Needs volunteers. Expected to have two exhibits this year. One at The Port Grocer and one at Bridgewater Library.

Gary reported that one of our members passed away suddenly last year – “Joan McCullough”. A Memorial will be held for Joan Sept 22nd 2-4 in Blockhouse Fire Hall. All members are welcome and if desired may say a few words of Joan. Her husband is donating an old camera to be used as an award for a club member which shall be called a “Smile Award”. A number of Joan’s works will be displayed.

New Business
Attendance Log Book will be used for members to check off their names when they arrive at the BPS meetings. This will help keep count of attendances and show the activity of the club which will be helpful when applying for grants etc. Registration information sheet to be filled out by each member when dues are paid. This will help keep an up to date data base. Info is kept confidential will not be shared. Gary reminded the group that Tom Rogers, who spoke to the group last year is raising monies for research to protect our Hemlock forests from invasive pests. They are looking for photos for a calendar-, Giants of Nova Scotia. This contest closes 14th of Sept. Gary encouraged members to submit a photo – prizes are $50.00 if your photo is one chosen and $100.00 if your photo is chosen for the cover.

Presentation
Gary congratulated Julie Naas who was chosen as the Photographer Of The Year 2017-18. Julie spoke and then showed a slide presentation of her favorite portrait work titled Capturing Moments in Time. This was very well received by the group in attendance.

Gary reported that some club members had brought in photography magazines to share with others.

Slide Shows
Two Field Trip presentations were shown – Tangled Garden and Ross Farm, Gary asked for feedback on the shows as it would be helpful to other making up shows in future.

2018-2019 Program
Gary also discussed the Schedule and Program Overview and also noted that there were paper copies available if anyone wanted one. The Theme this year will be Story Telling with our photos

Sherry Hudson spoke re. a day workshop by Thaddeus Holownia. Thaddeus will speak on Story telling at our Oct 23rd meeting and will present a day long workshop the next day at LaHave Bakery (9:30-3:30). Spaces are limited to 12 people.

Gary said that there have been a few changes to the rules on Photo Competitions and members should be mindful of these changes.

Break

Trevor Awalt gave a very informative talk on “Resizing & Naming Photos for Competition”. A summary of this in PDF Form will be put on the FB pg in the next few days.

Meeting was adjourned at 9:20 pm.
Minutes respectively submitted by Patty Winfield

Advertisements

Actions

Information

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: